About Island View Waterfront Cafe
The Island View was built in the late 1920s and renovated in 2000. It was built as a dance hall, tavern, and picnic grove for people from Baltimore City to escape the heat throughout the summer. Tom & Fran Laing purchased the property in 1968 and operated it as Tom’s Tavern. In 1983 it was handed down to the family and the name changed to The Island View. In 2000 the building was renovated to take advantage of the great waterfront view. Although Mr.Tom and Ms. Fran have passed along, the grandchildren continue to crack the whip and people from all over still come to relax and enjoy the View. The third generation, Jessica and Bryan are now running the restaurant.. It is a quiet, friendly, out-of-the-way place that offers great food at great prices…and a spectacular view of the Chesapeake Bay.
Check out our history! And while the names may have changed, we’ve become a family tradition, owned and operated by the Laings, since 1969!
1928-1940, Goth’s Grove
1940-1965, Mac’s Grove
1965-1968, Gaff’s Grove
1969-1983, Tom’s Tavern
1983-2000, Island View Inn
July 2000-Present, Island View Waterfront Café